CLUB BACKGROUND AND HISTORY
The club of origin, The U.S. Stamp Club
was founded in the early part of 1947. The club met at the
office of William Naff's Georgia Stamp & Coin Company.
The primary purpose of the club was to bring members together
on Saturday afternoons for a stamp auction at the stamp
shop. This arrangement prevented the need for a license
or licensed auctioneer.
The name of the club was changed to its
current name to signify the inclusion of collectors of foreign
stamps in the membership. In the 1950's the meeting place
was changed to Dr. Fowler's office on 8th Street where meetings
were to be held for the next twelve years. Other meeting
places have included the NBG Building at Pershing Point,
the Red Cross Building at 7th and Peachtree Street, the
First United Methodist Church of Atlanta at 360 Peachtree
Street, All Saints' Episcopal Church at 634 West Peachtree
Street, and currently the Ponce de Leon Branch of the Atlanta-Fulton
Public Library at 980 Ponce de Leon Avenue.
Stamp collectors of all ages, interests,
and expertise are cordially invited to join the Atlanta
Stamp Collectors Club. The ASCC is the oldest philatelic
organization in Georgia and has a membership of about 60
with interests ranging from general worldwide to classic
United States to single countries including, the Bahamas,
Great Britain, and Nicaragua.
The club meets in downtown Atlanta to chat
informally, hold a brief business meeting, and conduct an
auction of members' philatelic materials. In addition, a
presentation on a stamp collecting topic is given at least
every other meeting. Regardless of collecting interests,
participation in ASCC meetings is a pleasant and efficient
way to increase knowledge of philately and to acquire new
material. The club auction is the highlight of each meeting
and offers many items of interest at low prices. This is
an excellent opportunity to acquire new material, and to
dispose of duplicates. Membership is $12 a year (prorated),
which includes a subscription to the club's monthly newsletter,
1st & 3rd Tuesday of the month (except December).
Meetings are from 7 to 10 p.m.
3002 Marlin Drive
Atlanta, GA 30341